John Deere snow plowing

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere snow plowing

DaveC I recently purchased a 425 with a 54inch blade. When I plow snow the blade is constantly falling flat and won't pop back up till I stop. I have the blade in the float position also. Any suggestions?
Jim_WV Sounds like the tension spring nut needs tightened down. Not sure on the 54" blade but on my 46" blade there is a spring on the back of the blade with a rod attached to the top of the blade and two nuts on the rod. The more you tighten the nut down towards the spring the tighter the spring becomes and does not allow the blade to flatten out so easily.

The blade is designed to flatten out when hitting an obstruction to prevent damage to the tractor, but sometimes it gets overley adjusted to the point it flattens out no matter what, which
sounds like what you are incurring.

Take care,
Jim

bontai Joe Sounds like Jim has got you covered. One word of caution from me is do NOT lock out the blade. If you hit something unmoveable while plowing at high speed (even the 6 or 7 MPH these machines will go) the tractor will stop possibly bending something expensive and you run the risk of getting thrown over the hood in front of a running tractor. Don't ask me how I know this :-)
Tim Boisvert The 54" blade on my 318 does the same thing.

I thought about putting a cable on the blade to limit the amount it would fold over, maybe 45 degress. Seems like once it folds, it folds flat and will not come back until I lift it or I back up. I figure if the ground/blade angle changes enough (without folding flat), that may help push the blade up. I don't remember seeing any adjustment on the springs but I'll have to double check.

I've had both Case and John Deere, both don't seem to float front blades very well.

DaveC Tim, I put a couple of black rubber straps at the top of the blade to limit the tipping. It seems to help, I don,t think I'll be able to let the blade float without having the skid shoes out quite a ways. My Wheel Horse allows you to adjust the blade with pins to slope it forward, this works great for snowplowing. It can't match the 425 in deep snow or for power and traction though.
Tim Boisvert Thanks Dave I'll give it a try.

I don't like the shoe as they seem to dig in (worst when the blad is angled) on my dirt driveway unless the ground is really frozen. I may modify them as well.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: