318 Steering problem?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

318 Steering problem?

Gary My 318 tractor steers fine but when the tractor is off the steering wheel spins quite freely. The wheel will turn but the wheels stay straight. Is this normal? If not, what is wrong? Since it steers fine is this anything to worry about.
Dave Gary - Sounds like the beginning phase of hydrostatic power steering unit failure. There are seals inside the unit that are leaking internally and when the tractor is on and the hydro pump is running, it's not that noticeable.

A lot of people thing the hydraulic assist cylinder on the left side of the tractor is what gives it the power steering. However, there's a rather complicated hydrostatic valve unit that provides the power assist. Depending on the year of your 318, it may have a 4-way or a 5-way unit.

These are rather difficult to repair if you have no experience. And most people who attempt to repair them without that experience, end up trashing them. A new unit from Deere (part number AM107082) is quite expensive, around $645.

Labor to remove, rebuild, and re-install the existing unit at a dealership would be at least half that.

The valve is an HGF model, made by Parker Hydraulics. If you go to http://www.parker.com/frameless/default.asp?substDivId=&FamID=577&DivID=&GID=&Type=2&ID=506&TechID=&PSID=4007 and click on "HFG Series Hydrostatic Steering Units" to select it, then click on "Service Maintenance" within a window to the right, the service manual in pdf format will load. This gives detailed information on repairing the cylinder. Parts are available either from Deere or a local Parker Hydraulics Distributer. Good luck. - Dave

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup




Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]


Sign Up For Our Monthly Special Sales!