John Deere 400 series, its a darn fine tractor!

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 400 series, its a darn fine tractor!

Tommy We have owned 2 400 series tractors over the last 4 years.

A 425, with 54" mower, we bought new in 2000, outfitted with 40 Loader.
We put 300 hours on it in about 12 months, mowed 3 acres with it, and it never let me down. It fouled lpugs one time, when I Idled it too long.
We sold it because we the money.

We became financially sound again and found an excellent JD 445 with 54" mower on the internet.
it had about 700 hours on it, and was in 7/10 shape.
It was a 1998 model btw. I put about 800 in part to get it back right again, new pulleys, preventive maintainence and so forth. We put a 40 Loader on it too, as well as 3 pt hitch. We had a little dirt moving business...and the only problem I had with it was that the Clutch/brake would stick down if you depressed it, and had to be pulled back up the last 2 inches of travel.
We sold it about 7 months ago, again, we needed money (mom went into hopsital for 2 weeks) and it was either the 445, or a Mint 1967 Ford Thunderbird....the 445 went!

So we are once again recovering...but in the near future will be be looking for another 400 series to fill the garage up!

I gotta say, the 400 series have got to be the roughest most no-nonsense mowers out there.

bontai Joe I hope good fortune smiles your way and you can get another tractor! I probably would have sold the "T"-Bird, but that is just me :D

You might want to check out the classifieds at www.weekendfreedommachines.org for a 400 series for sale. They pop up there from time to time and you might find one you like and can afford, instead of bidding against the rest of the world on eb@y.

DENNIS HAWKINS I HAVE A JD -400, THAT I OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW ALL OF ITS CAPABILITIES.....WHAT ATTACHMENTS ARE AVAIL., IT ONLY HAS A 60" DECK ON IT......I DO SEE HYD. PORTS ON FRONT, AND TWO OTHER HYD. LEVERS ON THE CONSOLE....20 HP KOHLER,, NEEDS A HOOD AND A MINOR WELD JOB, ON THE DECK.....
Tommy well, Im not sure about a 400...

but the 425, 445 and 455 have a wide array of attachemnts.

40 Loader
push blade
baggers
power baggers
snow blower
power sweepers
48-54 and 6- inch decks
mechanical tiller, and hydro tiller

alot of attachments!

Go by your local dealer and ask them. They may have some old literature on the 400 for you.

Because your 400 has Kohler, it is proabably late 80s I guess, because since at least 1995? They have used Liquid cooled Kawasakis.

Good luck, and write back if any more questions come up.

Ed Davis Dennis, just bought a JD 400 and the fella I got it from threw in an extra hood as well as a bunch of other parts I hope I never need

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: