SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 2240 Hydraulic oil leak

Eric Anderson My 1976 JD 2240 is leaking hydraulic oil from somewhere in the front end. At low RPM there appears to be no problems. Though once warmed up, at high RPM fluid is leaking and being blown through the radiator and all over the engine compartment.

I can't see any obvious leaks. This morning I started the tractor. Took a mower off the 3-point. All hydraulics work fine. Started roading to the next field. A mile down the road I notice small droplets of oil blowing from under the hood.

Headed back a home. Parked leaking rig. I came back in 2 hours and took off the hood. Fired it up. No leak. Need help!

IHTimmy With hood off run it at high rpm turn the steering end to end hold it on pressure and hold remotes on pressure check all your power steering and oil cooler and lines
Bob Have a 2140 had same problem found a small plastic line that runs from top of transmission under cab to the hydrualic oil aux. reservior and another line runs from res. to top of hyd pump under fuel tank this was a lite plastic line about 1/8 in di.this plastic line got brittle and cracked had to replace both lines with a rubber line hope this helps.
Eric Anderson I will check that line Bob.I had a similar leak once before and found an obvious break in that thin line right at the end. Repaired it and thought it was good to go. I now question that entire clear plastic line. It has air bubbles in it currently. I will check it. Thanks.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: