SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4020 PTO problem

Jim U All,
I am the weekend (amateur) mechanic on my sister and brother-in-law's dairy. Will summarize the chain of events so far:
1) The 4020 in question is a front console, manual PTO.
2) It had been making a whining noise with the PTO running for a while, apparently coming from the stack of gears between the bell housing and the transmission.
3) My brother in law was round baling, heard a loud bang and the tractor stalled out. He disengaged the PTO and the tractor drove and operated fine; we used it on the wrapper for the rest of 1st cutting.
4) I pulled the cab and split the tractor at the break between the bell/clutch housing and transmission. A bunch of needle bearings puked out and all three gears had some teeth missing.
5) While it was split I pulled out the 540 shaft and removed the quill at the back of the tractor. Turned the PTO drive shaft at the split and had my brother in law watch at the back. He said everything was turning smoothly.
6) Put in 3 new gears, needle bearings, thrust washers, etc. Turned everything by hand and it seemed very smooth.
7) Wheeled the halves back together, started the tractor, put it down to idle and engaged the PTO gingerly.
8) The tractor stalled out.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: