SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Onan P218G burning oil

Tom I am working on an Onan engine that keeps burning oil. I've changed the piston rings, intake valves, intake valve seals, and honed the cylinders and it's still burning oil. I took the heads off and there is oil in the cylinders. Any suggestions? Thanks
Dale Tom how much oil is the engine using (burning)? Is it a light trail of blue or is there actually wet like lubricant in the exhaust valve port into the muffler? Is the engine a vertical piston positioning or a horizontal one?

After honing did you use a micrometer to find the taper on the cylinder? Is there a breather in the engine case with a type of filter that could be blocked?

Those are some of the things that could cause the blue smoke trail from the exhaust, was it smoking before rebuild?

Tom It's a continuous flow of blue smoke, The piston is horizontal. It has an intake oil pump that was ok. I'm not exactly sure how much it's using. It was brought to me to try and fix but everything I've tried seemed to fail
Dale Tom when the person brought it to you for fixing was blue smoke and oil consumption the problem?

What symptoms did that person tell you were the reasons for bringing it in to be fixed?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: