SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

2030 JD Power Steering problem

CLINTON 2030 JD Removed steering shaft compartment, because it was leaking. Replaced with O ring kit , reassembled steering shaft compartment on JD. After replacing everything and started tractor up it only turns to the RIGHT with power steering , no power steering to the LEFT. HELP!
Dale Clinton: Did you use a service repair manual when putting that back together? Possibly the piston is not centered correctly.

You may have to pull it back apart and make sure you go by the book.

Clinton Dale,thanks for the reply.I did use the shop manuel to do what i did.All was working well, left to right power steering,just the leaking seal at top was all it was to start with,I bought the complete o-ring kit,was going to replace all,but I did not take the shaft out of housing,only replaced the bottom o-rings and back up rings.Removed adjustment nut and replaced o-ring under it.Put it all back together and put it back on tractor,Started tractor up ,steering wheel an front wheels automatically went to the right,To turn it back to the left was hard to do.Is there any position the wheels or the steering wheel should be in before hooking it back up?
Dale Clinton: On the industrial steering gears the loaders and other always went right and stopped at the stops. This steering valve is not like those however the scenario is same. On steering valves the shaft seal is the last inline and if the seals inside the valve leak then they will pressurize the top seal. The entire valve needs disassembled and the entire kit needs installed and step by step instructions followed.

clinton Dale,thanks for the advice.I pulled the steering assy.back off the tractor,an going by the shop manuel that I have,I disassembled and replaced the other o-rings an snap rings that came with the kit.I put steering assy. back on tractor,after making sure that I had everything hooked back up,I started the tractor up,it still only wants to power to the right.I jacked the front up to clear tires from ground,I can turn it to the left but still with a lot of resistants.I drove it around some but takes both hands to turn it to the LEFT. HELP ME !
Larry You have to bleed the air from the system. Should be a bleed valve on the steering unit somewhere below the steering wheel shaft. Need to hook up hose to bleed valve and turn steering wheel from left to right with the bleed valve open. When all air or bubbles quit coming out of hose shut the bleed valve. If you have a shop manual, it should give the procedure in there.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: