SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

318 with no spark

Mark I have a JD 318 with the P218 Onan engine. It stalled the other day and wouldn't restart. I found that I had no spark at either plug. I replaced the coil and still no spark at either plug. I replaced the condenser about a month ago, because of the same issue. Is it possible that previous coil burned up the new condenser? Either way the engine cranks but it won't fire up. Any suggestions are appreciated.
John Never heard of a coil burning out a condenser.
If your not getting spark,have a coil and condenser, then do you also have a set of points?
If so, look at them, points will short out, burn
up at the tips, and get out of adjustment, most
points on small engines set around 20 thousants.
If you don't have points, then look for a modual
that creates a pulse. Also look for shorted wires
in the same area. I have a Onan with points and
condenser, the little push rod that works the points had frozen in place and wouldn't work the
points, had to free that up with oil and movement
of the push rod, worked fine after that. However
I have no idea how your engine is made.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: