SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD316, bad starter

Bill Greetings...

My JD 316 won't start. The starter spins, and it sounds like I hear a solenoid clicking, but the engine will not turn. It's sounds like it's spinning free.

How hard is it to remove the starter? need to remove the engine?

Is there a mechanical bendix that engages the gear?

Is there possibly a shear pin on the starter gear?

I have spun the engine over to see if maybe the flywheel is bad, but the starter spins wherever the flywheel is turned to.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks...

bill

Dale G. Basgall Bill : Does your starter have a starter solenoid on it or is there a battery cable going to it only? It sounds like your bendix gear is stuck.

Some of those are plastic bendix gears and it should be easy except for the snap ring and spring on the end to replace the bendix. It depends which starter you have.

Go to superiordc.com they have all the retro fit starters for the John Deere. That starter is most likely a few hundred bucks but I have ordered the bendix from JD seperately.

bontai Joe Is your 316 the older single cylinder Kohler powered one? or the newer Onan 2 cylinder one? I ask, because they have very different starter set-ups.
bill I have the Onan engine. I'm not sure about the solenoid, but I thought I heard the typical solenoid clicking sound from the area of the starter.

I checked with a local JD service store and the parts guy mentioned a $628 price tag. I figure I can fix it if I can get it off the engine.

If it's like an old gm starter, the solenoid engages the bendix too?

Thanks..

Bill

Dale G. Basgall bill ; wow that's expensive, it's like if I can't fix it I can fix it so no one else can. For 600 bucks it seems way overpriced and they can't be that different than any other starter. I would clean it up, lube the bushings maybe it has bearings for that price, change the brushes if possible. Sometimes that brush holder is expensive from John Deere. Try superior if you need a replacement and if you need a bendix bontai or I can look up the actual part # and price from JD.
Bill Dale...

Sounds good, thanks. I was hoping the starter was easy to get to, but I guess it's not that bad. The weather is cooling off tomorrow here in the Chgo area, so I'll give it a try.

I figure it will need a bendix, but we'll see.

Thanks again.

bill

bill Well, before I tore into the 316 and removed the engine/starter, I decided to see if would start again. It started up just fine! I guess I'll wait on my repair. I expect it will fail soon.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: