SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

PTO works , but tractor drive dead-forward & Reverse

Bill Liedtke First time I've had to trouble shoot The JD STX 46. Middle of cutting the grass and all drive gears forward and recerse went out doing really nothing! PTO and blade works. Small drive pully about PTO is turning, but belt is not. It's not broken. The belt holds still and burns while the pulley turns. Just getting into it. I can turn rear wheels by pulling on the belt. It has stretched all of a sudden or the drive is out. It's a 5 speed no a hydro. See no place under battery to check fluid. What is usual reason for drice belt slipping and burning? I stopped it right awat, Not I need to drop differential to see what's up with pulley? Any help appreciated GREATLY. Bil
Dale G. Basgall Bill : If you can get to the transaxle drive pulley try rotating it by hand, the only problems I have repaired on those types of transmissions are the input shaft bearings.

Those transaxles are filled with one tube of grease usually and there is no way to check them unless you take it apart.

I don't see any parts available for that one so first try to rotate the pulley on top of the transaxle.

You should remove the mower deck and set the mower on jack stands so you can slide under and really take a good look at the belt system. It's confusing at first but just trace it out and if you need more assistance write back on the forum.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: