SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

L118 Transaxle

Pat D. I just acquired a 2005 JD L118 garden tractor from a friend for free. It's in great condition cosmetically, but it has a bad transaxle. The transaxle is a TUFF TORQ, and the numbers on it read 768T2024000 S/N 40A-0044045. There is also what looks to be a JD part number on it: AM134125. Is this a serviceable transaxle or do I need to get a replacement? Is this an easy do it yourself fix? Where can I get a new one and how much is it? Thanks in advance.
Dale G. Basgall Pat : The transaxle is $630.00, there are kits that have the internal parts for repair. We repair those here but it requires disassembly and hand machine work so it gets to be a situation of 300 bucks in labor and a few hundred on parts. We have repaired some without the use of new parts and those symptoms were;

After operating the mower for long periods of time in heavy grass and on inclines tend to heat up the transmission oil to a point a very little amount is leaked from the transmission vent outlet on top of the transmission cover. The lack of just a small amount of oil allows further heat to develop within the transmission. This causes the piston barrels of both the pump and motor to wear. As the oil heats up the mower has no pulling power while the engine is running fine.

Write back if you need more info on the repair.

Dale G. Basgall

Amir Abou-Zeid Hi,
My L118 has this issue where it will not go up the hill anymore and it gets worse as the transm. oil heats up. You explained how a little bit of oil will overflow and the remaining oil will heat up even more as a result. How do I prevent a second failure of the same kind. I am looking to fix my current transmission or replace it, I just want to do better with my new one. I could install a thermocouple to tell me that the oil is too hot???
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave Hi, I'm helping a friend to sell her deceased husband's shop things. He has a brand new one of these transaxels and really no use for it. Let me know via email if you can use it. Dave
Joe Dave, is this transaxle still available? I have a JD L111 that uses the same part and have been looking for one. Please email me if you still have it. Thanks, Joe
Donald R Freeman I am also in need of this transaxle. Is it all available or can you recommend an inexpensive solution?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: