SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

john deere 4600 fuel shut off solenoid

simmsail Tractor stopped dead in the paddock,have replaced shutoff solenoid and thermistor still no current to solenoid, fuses are ok although it blew a few at first, on 'key swt'fuse , there is some current flowing on wire 212 from ign switch to relay K7 with key turned off, will run ok if the solenoid is backed out a little , needs to be pushed in by hand to shut off engine , earthing points seem ok also
any suggestions would be appreciated

Dale G. Basgall simmsail : do you have a cold weather start, the sensor will be on the water jacket with the upper radiator hose? Do you happen to have the electrical schematics on disk? I have had the same type of failure also but on the 5600 series.

Dale G. Basgall

simmsail Hi Dale
No cold start fitted in australia, starts and runs ok if I take out the fuel cutoff solenoid , cant get any current to the solenoid although it tests ok out of the tractor, have isolated all the safety switches ,replaced thermistor.
no I do not have any manuals of any kind for the 4600
regards Geoff

Dale G. Basgall Geoff : I am in Hawaii and also thought that about the cold weather start but the 5600 had it also built into the water jacket neck but anyway. It sounds like your ok with solenoids and electrical so does your solenoid have one wire and the case to ground or does it have two seperate leads on it?

Does the solenoid activate when it is off the tractor and on a bench test with battery jumpers attached?

It sounds as if it were stuck inside, voltage should make something move. Try taking two small jumper wires and attaching one to negative on the battery and the other to positive. Attach one lead to the solenoid lead and the other touch to the ground on the solenoid case. You should see a flash of blue spark when flicking the ground lead on and off of the solenoid ground. Also did you take an ohm reading on the solenoid wire leads?

Dale G. Basgall

simmsail would love a copy of the electrics
regards geoff

simmsail hi Dale
I bought a new solenoid (the old one works but need to pump the oil out evey 6hrs)so no problem there, just no current getting to it , must be a problem with one of the safety switches that i have yet to locate, i did have the acc fuse blow a few times it is now not blowing but with the key turned off i am still getting current accross the fuse , why??
regards geoff

Noel I have had the same problem with the fuel shutoff solenid filling with oil from the injector pump. After purchasing several solenids at $150 @, and hundreds of times removing the solenoid to pump the oil out. I finally machined a piece of 1/8" flat and drilled a hole in the middle of the new port cover for a PTO cable. I mounted the cable knob on the dash of the tractor. For the tractor to run I pull the cable out about 1/2", when its time to turn the tractor off, push the cable in.
Words of caution: The safety switches on the seat and pto are not going to engage the shutoff solenoid.
But, there is a big red knob on the dash to remind you to shut it off.
This is the way older diesels are shut off.
There was one point, I had the solenoid out of the tractor, when it was time to shut off, I would stick my finger in the solenoid port to push the valve off. The 100 degree days made me come up with this method of shut off.
So far this is working flawless for me.

Noel I have had the same problem with the fuel shutoff solenid filling with oil from the injector pump. After purchasing several solenids at $150 @, and hundreds of times removing the solenoid to pump the oil out. I finally machined a piece of 1/8" flat and drilled a hole in the middle of the new port cover for a PTO cable. I mounted the cable knob on the dash of the tractor. For the tractor to run I pull the cable out about 1/2", when its time to turn the tractor off, push the cable in.
Words of caution: The safety switches on the seat and pto are not going to engage the shutoff solenoid.
But, there is a big red knob on the dash to remind you to shut it off.
This is the way older diesels are shut off.
There was one point, I had the solenoid out of the tractor, when it was time to shut off, I would stick my finger in the solenoid port to push the valve off. The 100 degree days made me come up with this method of shut off.
So far this is working flawless for me.

Mark Noel, I have a friend who is experiencing the same problem with his solenoid on a 2000 4600 pwr reverser & I have a hydrostat 4600 and have had no issues. Except his acts up when he works it hard with a bush hog for hours the solenoid will fill with oil and the next day it will not start. could you send me some pictures of your fix
Noel [IMG]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/imgoin/29e39f53.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/imgoin/a22a2aaa.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/imgoin/e86f359e.jpg[/IMG]

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: