SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 5425...Need Help Starting Problems

Dorie L My father owns a John Deere 5425 tractor that will not start after setting for several days. Deere tells him that "he is the only one out there with a 5425 starting problem". We are looking for anyone out there that is having this same problem (or HAD this same problem)...and would like to contact you for further discussion. Also, we have heard that Deere has issued a service update regarding a fuel system problem. We are looking for a copy of that update or any service update that would be useful. Thank you in advance!
David Wilson I have a 5425, and had a starting problem. The problem I had was all the instrument panel gauges and lights went crazy and engine would n`t crank. Turned out to be a simple fix after a few days of searching. The battery frame ground, which is a poor setup needed cleaned and tightened. All was fine after taking care of the ground.
Dorie L Thank you for replying to my post! We are having problems with the tractor loosing it's prime and the fuel lines are having to be bled after the tractor sets for a period of time. I remember seeing a post several months ago about someone having electrical issues with their 5425...they said that the all the lights would come on the instrument panel, put the tractor wouldn't crank...and I don't recall what the fix was?
We are having the problem of air entering into the fuel system and when the tractor does start...engine surging/fluctuating RPM's also. There is a technical soluction issued by Deere numbered 54399, and is not feasible for straddle mount or narrow tractors...they want to install a fuel pump to alleviate the problem that they say "does not exist, and my dad is the only customer that is experiencing loosing prime". Really?

That is why we are wanting to hear from other Deere owners to see what they say. Thank you for your reply.

keith does your tractor crank and not start look see if your model has an electric governor to shut the fuel down if it does pull it and start your engine the little buggers goes bad may have a seal in the hole the plunger goes to that is leaking and fouling the plunger under hood wires 2 bolts on fuel system
Mike Have been chasing the same problem for 2 years now, hoses , filters, fuel lines, tank wash, and installed a ck valve in the fuel line. Still fades power and loses prime?????
Brian I have a 5425N and have same problem. It's been going on for a couple of years. was down in Okanagon Wash last week and talked to dealer and was told to put in an electric fuel pump at my expense .my dealer in kelowna B.C. tells me there is no fix. I say B.S.
Monte Morgan My 5425 won't start after it sits for a week or so. It has done this since it was new. What a pain, and my dealer hasn't
Helped . John Deere needs to make this right.

don tessneer I have a 2005 5425 bought new thisdid not start until the dealer did service the fuel filter and other normal 300 hr checkup - now after 1 month it will crank and run 15sec and not crank again until I push the prime plunger on top of the fuel filter -- did not have a problem the first 9 yrs had it serviced and it ran 15 hrs 6 month and then started this any help would be appreciated thanks for your time
Timothy Crowell WE have a JD 2005 JD 5424 with approx. 1200 hours. It started with this issue a year ago. I changed the filter replaced the check valve and checked for loose fittings. this did not help. February of this year we took it to a dealer in W Kentucky to have this problem fixed. $493.xx dollars we still have an issue. The dealership sent out a tech. At the end of his visit the solution was simple.

KEEP THE FUEL TANK ABOVE HALF FULL AND REPLACE THE CHECK VALVE UNTIL I FIND ONE THAT WORKS..........

WOW! GEEEEE! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!?!?!?!?

JD YOU'VE GOT MORE THAN A PROBLEM WITH YOUR TRACTOR.......

Kevin davidson I bought a brand new 5425 Jd tractor had same problem at new simple fix just told John Deere dealer put in line check valve on fuel system ( this tractor was under warranty) the dealer did know what to do. John Deere is bad about fuel system in tractor many jd tractor have check vale in fuel system from factory. To many new mechanic don't know about jd fuel problem from past

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: