SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

john deere 317 runs rough

Kevin my model 317 suddenly started runing rough. Had the same problem in the spring and replaced the points. It ran great all summer then all of a sudden the same problem. What are the chances of it being bad points again?I replaced the plugs, run it for a while and checked them,very sooty.Poor spark, too rich? Any suggestions?
bontai Joe Could be the points need replacing, could be that they just need adjusting, could be that your spark plugs are the culprit, could be that you are just running too rich. First thing I'd do is adjust the carb and replace the plugs (properly gapped of course) and see if that fixes the problem.
kevin Thanks for the reply,sure enough, bad points!Now I just gotta figure out why it's burn'n up points so fast.
bontai Joe First, I am glad you got it running ok. The points in these generally last a couple of years with the typical homeowner use of 50 hours a year. I know a guy that turns off his tractor by chocking it out, leaving the key on. If the points are closed when shut down like that (key on) they will burn out quicker than normal. If you leave the keys in it and one of your kids plays with the tractor switching the keys on and off, that might contribute to wear as well. The sooty plugs still indicate you are running rich, which won't affect the points, but is something to be worked on when you get a chance.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: