SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 4020

Bill W I have a 1964 4020 gas tractor which will run for a while after I start it and then suddenly dies for no apparent reason. It will usually restart and run for a shorter period than originally. After several of these cycles. It won't start and I have to let it totally cool down for it to start again.

I have recently replaced the following: generator,points, condenser, coil (the original was marked 6 volt but the replacement was 12 volt--What is correct for this tractor?), ignition switch, fuel pump, both 12 volt batteries, rebuilt the carb, removed the fuel shut-off solenoid and added a sediment bowl after draining the gas tank and rebuilding the card. Nothing seemed to help for very long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leonard Have you checked the vent to your fuel tank. Some are in the fuel cap itself. Others have a vent tube mounted in the inside of the filler neck on your tank. I ran into this once on a 3010 gas tractor and it was the vent that was stopped up and would allow the tank to pull a vacuum and starve your carburetor for gas. I have seen this several times on older Deere dozers. (350s and 450s) Hope this helps......Not sure on the voltage on your coil. Some were resisted down to six volt from twelve. That would be a good question for Deere to answer.
skeeter I have a 4020 diesel and the diesel is getting into the oil or crankcase some say it could be a lifter part broke off or a diaphram on the fuel system. There is a long skinny canister in front of the brake pedals that seems to have a little knock in it I was just wondering where to start.
Geoffrey As for the fuel in oil ive had that happen many times usually injector pump

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: