SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

need help john deere 1020 starting problems

kenny vaught i have a john deere 1020 diesel tractor that will not start using the key it will crank over fine but will not fire off i can pull start it and it will start up as soon as i let off the clutch. any one no whats wrong
Leonard Your tractor is most likely suffering from a draggy or slow starter. Or it could be old cables or connections causing voltage and or amperage loss. Either way it isn't spinning the engine over quick enough to fire. Older Deere engines require a whipping motion to start properly. That's why you can pull start the engine but your starter wont. By pulling the tractor and popping the clutch you cause the engine to whip over as apposed to being drug over by a slow or draggy starter. There are other things that are possible but I would start with a good rebuilt starter and replace the cables and make sure you are getting good connections from your battery all the way through to the starter. If this doesn't cure your problem then it will be deeper. Good luck!

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: