SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

STX 38 STEERING ISSUE

shawn I just purchased a stx 38 black deck. The mower is in great shape runs and mows fine. The only issue I found with it was that the steering seems to be a little tight. I did grease everything and it seemed to help alot but still a little tight. Also I noticed while i was greasing everything is that the 2 front tires are rubbing on bar that turns the wheels. I dont know if I have wheel bearings issues or what. If anyone has any ideas or had this problem please let me know what to do. Thanks
John_M The STX does not have wheel bearings as such, you will probably find that the front tires have been replaced with cheaper aftermarket tires that are slightly wider than original.

I have two of these mowers and while one has the original JD tires on it the other has aftermarket Carlisle tires on it, they are both 13x6.50 on the side wall however the JD tires only measure 6" across while the aftermarket carlisle's measure 6.5" and slightly rub the steering.

Also the steering on these is generally heavy as it has no power assistance.

Check that your tires are at the correct pressure, there is no play in the steering rods and that the front axle king pins have no movement whith the mower in the air.

Cheers,

John

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: