SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere startup smoke

Dave I have a 2005 John Deere Compact tractor 790. I bought it new in 2005. I noticed when I run the machine that there was a raw diesel fuel smell when it was running. I thought (and was told by the dealer) that this was normal. The machine also smoked alot (Really alot) of white smoke on startup. So I finally gave up a took it back to the dealer. They told me that I didn't run it hard enough and they hooked it up to a dyno and run it for 24 hour at 2200 rpms. This was to finish breaking it in. We I got the machine back it smoked more that when I took it in. They told me that this was ok and that it was to reduce pollution... EPA standards, and that there was nothing that could be done. They were not allowed to do any adjustments. So I lived with this problem to the point where I decide to do some testing on my own. To shorting my story I will tell you this. When I checked the pump timing, The fuel was injecting at TDC. This is why the machine smokes and runs like crap. So if you are one of the people out there that have a JD that smokes white smoke when it is cold... Check the pump timing, and complaint to the dealer about it.
thepumpguysc YUPand my other favorite, besides the "EPA" quote...IS"THEY ALL DO THAT"..
WestMichigan When should the fuel be injected instead of at TDC?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: