SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

LX172 battery light

Tony My LX172 battery light stays on most of the time. I have checked voltage at the rectifier and battery as advised in other posts on this forum, and all check good. I have also checked all visible wires and connections. It doesn't seem to matter if the PTO is on or off. The light does go out occasionaly.
bontai Joe How old is the battery?
Tony It does it with a new fully charged battery.
Bob Godfrey Your stator assembly located under the flywheel is not sending the required voltage to recharge the battery. You get voltage at the battery and rectifier/regulator because it is reading from the battery. Eventulally, the battery will drop to the point that you won't be able to start the tractor. Check the voltage coming from the stator assembly wire where it connects to the regulator/rectifier. Should read approx. 30 volts a/c for proper operation. Rectifier will convert this to dc volts to keep the battery charged. Trust me, I have an LX172 that is 18 years old. I've been through this scenario three times over the years. Remove the flywheel and the stator assembly is easy to replace, 4 screws.
bontai Joe Looks like Bob has had some experience with this
Dale G. Basgall Tony :

I have also experinced the same scenatio and I have found on two of the units that there is a small red cap capacitor on the left side of the engine and close to the firewall and I found when I finally replaced that cap the charge light went out and the units worked fine.

Not all John Deeres have the cap on them but I changed the regulator, battery and checked the stator and it ended up being a four dollar part, a capacitor that attaches to the light.

Dale G. Basgall

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: