SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 316 pto

Frank After cutting the grass for a while when I shut off the tractor and then try to re engage the PTO i have to wait an hour or two befor it will re engage.What should the gap be in the clutch and how to i set that gap?

sasha Frank, I had the same problem with my 318 and it ended up being the Field Winding coil. It had swollen up and would get hot and not engage the clutch when it was hot. It was just worn out. As soon as i put a new one on that fixed the issue that you are having. Make sure that if you order one, it has the right wiring clip. There are two different versions. Once you install it make sure to keep the clutch area clean of debris because that will cause problems with the clutch engaging as well.
bontai Joe The gap should be around .018" and is set with a feeler gage inserted near each of the springloaded bolts around the outside of the clutch. You will need to check each screw several times as adjusting one affects the others. Takes a little while to "dial it in".

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: