SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 850

Stan I am looking at a couple of JD 850's locally.

(#1) has 1500 hours,good ag tires, a few dents and scratches, runs and works good, manual steering, and a couple of rusted out spots in the sheet metal. No leaks or engine smoke. Price $5000

(#2) has 2550 hours, turf tires, no dents or dings, faded paint, power steering, no rust, torn seat, lights not working, no leaks or engine smoke, includes a nice 6 ft finish mower. $5000

I'm leaning towards #2 as most of my use will be for mowing, with some tilling, and box blading. Power steering is nice, also. The long hours is what's bothering me. Tractor was used and regularly maintained by local parks dept. for mostly grass cutting. How much does the 1000 extra hours hurt the tractors value.

Dale G. Basgall Stan : Hours on a piece of equipment are alot like years of life on an individual, if you take it easy and keep up with the maintenance 100 hours on tractor A may actually have been equivalant to 10 hours on tractor B. What you need to look for is how the tractor was cared for, maintenance records, repair records etc.

Generally you are looking for easy starting, good low idle and constant, no excessive black smoke and so on.

5k is cheap for a replacement of the 850 today would cost 18k or more depending on the attachments and more upward into the 28k range for a new one .

Look at all the grease nipples and see if they all take grease, look at all the pins and axle parts, check the engine and hydraulic oil, check the cycle times on the impliment hydraulics, make sure the 3 point works smoothly.

Dale G. Basgall

Stan Thanks, Dale. I ended up getting the one with 2500 hours and a finish mower for $4500. The 3 point is smooth, quiet, and holds well, but it seems to not lift high enough, and the lever is about half way back before it starts to move. I don't want to break anything, but what is the adjustment for this? The arms will lower completely to the ground. I bought the JD47 service manual, but still unclear about what needs adjusting. Is it the turn buckle rod that connects to the left side lift arm near the seat?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: