SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD425 - CARB PROBLEMS - NEED AN OPINION!!!

Dave Forbes My 425 only starts when I cover the carb with my hand. When I remove my hand, it quits.

The fuel filter fills when my hand covers the carb, but empties immediately when my hand is removed from the carb.

Is this a fuel pump problem, fuel filter problem, or what? (How can I test for either of these?)

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dale G. Basgall Dave : Usually if the engine starts with the choke on and then dies immediately after you shut the choke off it is a plugged low speed jet in the carburetor that needs to be removed and cleaned. It seems simular to your situation and that one scenario does point to removing the carb and disassembling the carb and cleaning the jets out.

The fuel filter filling and then emptying is another issue, it could be a plugged vent in the cap and just remove the cap and try it out with the cap removed from the tank. If the problem still exists then remove the fuel line at the filter and drop it below the tank and check to see if there is flow from the tank to the filter, if it is slow then blow back in the hose until you hear bubbles in the tank.

Dale G. Basgall

John I agree. Mine did the same thing(only started with my hand covering it)at the beginning of the season. I took the carb off and let it soak in cleaner over night. Ran perfect once i put it back on.
Dave Forbes Thanks Dale for your input... I will clean the carb...

Also... You mentioned removing the fuel line at the filter and dropping it below the tank to check if there is flow from the tank to the filter. You said if it is slow then blow back in the hose until you hear bubbles in the tank. I'll check that out too.

One last thing... Sorry if this sounds stupid but does the 425 have a fuel pump?

Again... thanks for all of you help

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: