SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

318 re power?

Greg I have a 318 g series 1800 hrs on it. its leaking oil big time.Should i re power or try to fix leak.
its seems to be coming from oil filter side and spraying while cutting from front end of motor burning puffs of smoke. if so what should i go with?

Dave Greg - A common oil leak that occurs on the 318s is the oil pressure sending unit. Another is the oil filter mounting plate. It may be worth trying to determine the source of the leak. If it is the sending unit, that's a real simple and inexpensive fix. Simply install a new sending unit. If it's the oil filter mounting plate, usually it's a matter of removing it, putting in a new gasket, putting thread seal on the mounting bolts and reinstalling. If you have other issues, and a rebuild is needed, it may be a wash to just do a repower. If the engine runs well otherwise, you might want to try and locate and fix the leak. It's really your call. - Dave
Tony Bachler As mentioned before Oil sending unit Base plate gasket; I have 8 318s In my repair fleet, With over 4000 hours on them. Keep the Oil clean; change regular, and keep the air filter and prefilter changed. The 318 needs to be CLEAN. It will last a long time. The onan is expensive/the best;

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: