SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 318 not charging

Mike Following all of the very helpful posts I have isolated the no charging problem to the stator or the voltage regulator ($70@NAPA ouch). I'm getting 40 vac of of the stator w/ wires disconnected from regulator, no short to ground on either lead but .5 ohms (digital v/om) between the two leads. Nearly 0 vdc on center tab of regulator at full speed using head bolt as a ground. Is there a way to check the voltage regulator off of the engine? On the stator what does the .5 ohm as opposed to .10 - .19 mean? Is .5 way too high? If I have to dig into the stator how do I go about it on a B43G?
?

Dave Mike - The 0.5 ohm reading could be a sensitivity issue with your meter. So, I would not be overly concerned about that reading. Since the regulator is not putting out any voltage, that's where the problem is. There is no way of checking the regulator off the engine that I know of.

To get to the stator, you have to pull the engine. Not fun, but not bad. - Dave

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: