SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

john deere hydro 185 -- fuel problem

Lenny hi there i just bought a john deere hydro 185 lawn tractor a couple months back and today is the first time i used it since i got it. anyway i am the second owner it has been well maintained the only problem is when mowing short grass it's great but when mowing longer grass it mows fine for a while then dies out. i noticed when it died out the first time the fuel filter was empty no gas in it and after letting it sit for about 2 min it refilled again and started up no problem so i started mowing again and same thing it died out and the fuel filter was empty. im guessling it could be the fuel pump under heavy load it's using more gas but not enough is getting to the carb soit dies out and under light load it's using less so the gas has more time to get there. what do u guys think?
Brian I would check the fuel lines for cracks first and replace if necessary. Also check the tank for any debris. Could be some debris in the line. Use a compressor to blow line from engine back to tank. Remove tank and clean out. Try it again. Happens again, replace the fuel pump
lenny well i pulled of the fuel line coming out of the pump and disconected the spark plug wire and cranked it over a few times it seems the fuel pump is working fine it's pumping out a good amount of fuel. so im gonna check the lines and tank next.
juan milian had the same problem fule pick up tube was plug with debris. had to remove and clean tube and tank also had grass and dirt under flywheel and would mes with stator.
Dan Kortum under the seat there's an L shaped gas shut off. this gets clogged with grass debris. take it off and blow out w/compressor. this should work. worked great with my 185. good luck.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: