SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 400 Loader - Hydralic pressure loss due to steering

Jim Janoso Hello,
I have a JD 400 Back hoe loader from the mid 1970's. It is pretty wore out for the most part. I did just put on a new main Hyd. Pump. The problem I have is this. When I steer to the right( steering is very hard - no power assist) I loose all hydralic pressure to the loader and most of the backhoe. When I steer it to the left I start to get it back. The steering main shaft appears to be coming up out of the system when I turn left. Does anyone have any thought other than tearing it all apart?

Jim Janoso - Roundup, MT

richard You definitly need to rebuild the steering. you have a blown o ring in the steering.
Spencer Davis Had similar problem. ON my JD 400
On mine was also filling engine full of hydraulic oil. Bad packing/ Seal in power steering pump. its gear driven off cam. Also priority valve stuck in power steering pump. Make sure relief lines small#4 line coming from p/S Pump not plugged going to reservoir/catch can Check that first before any disassembly. Could get lucky and just be line plugged at catch can nipple.
The valve in power steering pump gives priority to steering over hydraulics. Its seizes or sticks. remove P/S pump remove valve clean. reassembly should be good to go. It fixed mine that and main shaft seal.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: