SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Otis Shearer My 5420 will stall after startup and I have to prime it continually to keep it running smooth. I have changed the filters and eventually eliminated the smaller on below. Both were fairly clean and with only a small amount of water.
After changing both filters the first time, I was able to use it to plow snow for close to 3 hrs. with no hesitation at all. I put it in the shop, let it set for 2 days, drove it 50' and it stalled.
I have replaced the fuel line from the tank also along with totally draining the fuel tank and blowing air in it to see if any debris was in the bottom. There was not. After I did all this it ran ideling for over an hr.and also ran it up and down my drive @ 2200rpms. I pulled it in the shop, let it set for over 45 min. tried to start it and after about 30 secs. it quit. I primed it, got it started again and when I quit priming it died. I blew in the check valve one way and it was open, I tried blowing in the other way and could not. I made sure I put the valve in the correct way also.
Anyone have any suggestions why it is acting like this.

p ladner I had the same problem after taking off the fuel tank because I left the fuel cap off. After taking off the tank and cleaning it, I started experiencing engine stopping after it ran for 10 seconds. A friend at the JD dealership told me to take the primer pump off and check the large "o" ring and also the small rubber flipper valve. I cleaned the "o" ring and the flipper valve and it now runs perfectly. If you have any questions, send me an email at

keith check fuel shut off sel. they go bad intermittent problem will crank no start will start with either after a couple time next time turn key on and tap it with a wrench or remove it if it starts thats it

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: