SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4430 power steering

travis I have an early version 4430. After setting for a couple of months it refused to turn to the right. I drove it around for a few minutes and it slowly started turning to the right, until full right was achieved. Later that day after preforming its annual maintenance it once again would not turn right. After speaking with the JD service rep I replaced the steering control box with a used unit. It did the same thing. I then got another used unit and it does the same. I have hooked up the remote hydraulics to the steering gear box and it functions perfectly. Why does my steering not turn right after it has been sitting??? after I move the tractor it is fine but once it sits for a couple hours it is locked again???
Hoss The seals in the steering motor out front are most likely the culprit. using the scv to turn it is not the same thing that the steering box does. The steering valve uses traped oil to operate on with a bleeder to keep it full. that is why when you turn it to the right the wheels will go real slow to the right to purge the system. Try turning the wheel all the way to the right and hold it until the wheels go full right.
travis When it is locked up I can hold pressure to the right as long as you like but it will not continue driving to the right. Only by moving the tractor, (preferably backwards?for some reason) Will it steer to full right. and then it seems fine until it has set for a couple hours.
Hoss Take the small plastic tube off the steering motor that goes to the bottom of the hyd pump. it is a return. If it runs much oil out when you steer it you probably need orings in the pistons in the steering motor. You have replaced the steering valve more than once so that is not likely the problem. the steering motor is about the only thing left.
John Heine Check leak off from bleed line on steering motor.O-ring blown in motor.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: