SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 425 smoking white smoke

Dan McGee Several months ago I posted questions regarding my John Deere 425 blowing white smoke.

It appears we have found the problem, a warped intake manifold. I took the cylinder heads and intake manifold to a local engine machine shop. The sharp and helpful machinist at the shop took an interest in trying to find the problem. Upon inspection he found the one side (the problem cylinder side) of intake manifold was higher on the outside end of the manifold where the bolts passed through the manifold mounting "ears" than the center of the manifold where the coolant and air intake passages align with the cylinder head ports.

I did not remove the gaskets from the intake manifold prior to taking it to the shop. The center strip of the gasket that separates the air/fuel mixture passage from the coolant passage (on the problem cylinder) was not securely seated to the intake manifold, as was the rest of the gasket.

I have ordered a new intake manifold and all necessary gaskets. I will post the results after I reassemble the engine. If the problem is fixed I plan on replacing the cam, given the model number (FD260D-BS02) it probably has a plastic cam gear.

Thanks again for the help.

Dan

Curt Ramsey My Dads 2002 425 JD is blowing white smoke, but it wil only start with the choke on full and [I know not to use it] a small squirt of starting fluid. then it will run at full idle with the choke on. It blows white smoke so bad you can build a cloud. When you try to back the choke off it dies. Very consistently. I pulled the left roker box cover and the rear roker has a hair play in it, so I know I need to adjust it and the other valves. But it was running fine all last week, but did notice that when dad would start it up it would huff a little white smoke, and got a liitle worse each time, now won't start at all unless you do what i worte above. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks curt

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: