SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 318 Drift Shaft Grease Fittings

Paul Vogel I am trying to perform maintenance on my JD 318 and am having trouble with what I think should be a pretty basic item. I am trying to grease the driveshaft that has three grease fittings (one in front and two in rear). However, I having dificulty getting to the fittings. It would really help if I could find a way to manually rotate the shaft so the fittings would align in an accessible conifiguration. I start and stop the enginer, the shaft spins, but when I stop the tractor they never seem to end up in an accessible alignment. I even tried driving the tractor to no avail.
Dave Paul - The two methods I used were:

1. Pull both plugs, use a wood dowel, and push on the flywheel to rotate the drive shaft to where I could reach the grease fittings. This was with the tractor up on jack stands and I approached the fittings from underneath with the belly screen removed.

2. Pull both plugs, pull the fender deck, access the grease fittings from above. This I found to be the easiest approach.

Good luck - Dave

Paul Vogel Thanks Dave. Will try No. 2

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: