SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere 4020 auxillary hydraulic leak, I'm stumped and need some help!!

Howard Childress Just finished a total rebuild on a 1967 JD 4020.
The left side of the auxillary rear hydraulic has been rebuilt 2 times and it continues to leak at the bottom of the on/off lever.. Has anyone ever had this problem? Can you recommend a solution?
I can't see anything wrong with it when I take it apart. Do you think that a new lever would stop the leak. Do they wear?? Can you buy just the lever??
Hoss, if you read this message, do you have any suggestions? Anyone with an idea what could be causing this problem? All advice appreciated..
I'm stumped on this baby!! solution to this problem will be appreciated.

Hoss Did you use orings or lipseals in the housing where the spool goes in? the orings seem to work better for me as the newer style lipseals don't seal as well on a used spool. Is the ball (in th center of the spool) that the lever pushes seeping? If this ball leaks it can run out and down the lever and look like the lever is leaking. I have fixed this problem by welding a ball on a small rod and using laping compound to lap the seat inside the spool so a new ball can seat. The lever doesn't give much trouble except when the lever on the bottom gets broken off.
Howard Childress Hoss, thank you for all of your advice. I have now completed the rebuild of my JD 4020 and everything is great.. You were a big help resolving my last two problems to a successful restoration. I'm sure others appreciate your advice too. Thanks again, Howard

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: