SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 850 tractor clutch

gerry gerhardt I just purchased a John Deere 850 8 speed gear tractor and am wondering how to tell if the clutch is getting weak. Should the clutch be strong enough to stall the engine in the two highest gears? The tractor has 1300 hours on it.
Any other advise on the clutch?

hay my experince has been that most of the time the clutch will get so it won't grab and the tractor or vehicle will strain to go in any gear. and usually clutches can quit quickley. so any gear from low to high will show up clutch problems. if it grabs good in lower gears, it should be okay for all gears. i had a small compact tractor that was okay one day and the next it was straining to move in any gear. two days later, the clutch was toast and had to be replaced.
Vincent P. Iannacci I have a 950 and had to replace the clutch. I knew because after i adjusted the clutch rod it still grinded the gears pretty bad. when i did the job you have to split the tractor in half and when lining up the splines from the throw out bearing shaft to the transmission be very careful. I had to put the old clutch in and good thing i did because i bent the old clutch when bolting the split tractor together. Since the shaft housing is hollow and no fluid is inside i drilled a 1/2 hole in the side as a peek hole to see the splines line back up. It worked and i didnt damage the new clutch. the clutch is pretty expensive when buying at JD and there are car clutches that will fit the 750-1050 for a way cheaper price. I dont know how to tell a bad pressure plate but i didnt replace it and my tractor has 300 hrs. on the new clutch.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: