SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 314 engine blowup

Tom Guillette I was unloading my old 314 Kohler JD when it made a very loud noise like a chain breaking inside. Now it turns over very fast. I dont believe that I have compression? Where do I start to evaluate this problem? Is it worth fixing?
help!

swampfox112 Sounds like you broke a rod or crankshaft. Depends on condition of the rest of the tractor and your finances but I would go for a brand new honda motor that drops right in. Your motor could be fixed alot cheaper though.
swampfox112 Start with pulling the spark plug and crank the motor. If nothing is puffing or moving inside the SP hole,then you have serious problem.
bontai Joe You won't know if the Kohler is rebuildable until you look inside. More often than not, it can be rebuilt for less money than repowering it.
John A.Heine Put short block from Kohler if engine is beyond repair.
bontai Joe Oh! I forgot to mention that even though the 314 was the "little brother" to the 317, it is probably worth fixing if the rest of the tractor is in decent or even semi-decent condition. To buy a grden tractor today with the hydraulic lift, capability to use a sleeve hitch or a cat. "0" 3 point hitch, and have one of the best hydrostatic systems ever used in a GT would rock you well over $4000 in a new machine. Plus the 314 can use attachments made by Deere from 1968 to 1992 for the 300 series. Not too many machines out there with 25 years of compatable goodies out there that will work.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: