SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4020 Sudden stopage

tjb Went out the other day to put round bale in feed lot, first filled the tractor with Diesel attached round bale mover to rear, lifted went 20 ft and it died. Changed fuel filter, air filter and topped off hyd fluid and oil. Got it started and bled injectors. It ran fine, put it back in shed. Went out to put bale out again, started fine. Put bale mover on, lifted, put it in reverse to back out of shed and it died. Each time it is like key was turned off. I'm stumpted. Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.
ross What year of 4020 is this? The '69 and newer have shut off solenoids on the pump.
tjb It is a 1969. If it is the shut off solenoid, would it allow me to start up once it has shut down?
ross The solenoid could be sticking, and allowing it to start sometimes and other times to not start. Make sure you have voltage going to the wire on the pump.
tjb I went out and wiggled the wire on the solenoid and tried the key, it started right off. I disconnected the wire from the solenoid and found it to be a quite dirty. I cleaned both parts of the connection, compressed the connecting wire a touch and tried the key again. Again it started right off. I backed the tractor out of the shed and went for a little test ride, it worked fine. I was still a little leery, until last night, I went out and put a round bale out. It worked just fine.

Thank you for your help you saved me big bucks, the forum is a great place to obtain help with many knowledgeable individuals. Again thank you.

tjb

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: