SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4640 electrical

Lyle Nielsen
4640 electrical

The electrical on my 4640 quit just when I put on the flashers and was ready to bring it home from the field. There is no lights, cab fan, radio, gauges do not work and the key will not start it or do anything for that matter. Any suggestions?

Dale G. Basgall Lyle, it may have the original fuseable links at the starter solenoid large terminal where the battery cable connects. It is almost impossible to look at them and see if they are bad, how to find the problem is to remove the ground cable first from the batteries. Then take the top nut from the post that the battery cable attaches to at the starter solenoid. The other smaller wires go back to the switch and remove those from the post on the solenoid. Carefully feel the insulation on each one while bending each one singularly and if one is burned out you will feel it, it will be like a limp noodle in the broken area. This is a coomon failure for the symptoms you described. I always get genuine John Deere ones but they are pricey compared to the fuseable link wire from the local parts store. Replace them don't wire around them.

If you don't fix the problem with that send back on the forum, this shouldn't be that difficult cause it's something common to all circuits, I feel that should solve your problem.

Dale G. Basgall

John A.Heine Check cab relay
Lyle Nielsen Thankyou Dale and John for your help. I went out this morning to check if the battery cables might be loose on the battery posts and they were okay. I then tried to start the tractor and it started right away and I drove 10 feet and the flashers started to work again and everything works now!
I wonder if there might be a loose connection in the key switch?

J. EDWARDS Remove left side panel on instrument cowl. Check connection where power comes thru firewall and connects to buss bar on circuit breakers and where connects to rear buss bar on circuit breakers. This if very common connection problem and is caused by vibration due to tires especially if have rice and cane tires. Hope this helps.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: