SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

2040 hydraulic apocalypse..

John Cleary Hi-there may very well be a thread somewhere here about this, but in case there's anyone out there that can help me, then I'd appreciate hearing from you;I inherited a 1984 2040, complete with busted hydraulics.
The clutch pack(torque convertor?)wont work-lever wont change up or down.
The steering is stiff to the point of being unusable, plus the back end wont operate either, naturally.
I know that the circulatory system for the hydraulic oil was clogged at some point with a grey sludge, which must have travelled thru the system.
Thing is that I dont know whether this has been caused by water ingress or whether something has broken up inside the workings and been ground down, like bearings for example.
At some point Id like to see if the tractor can be repaired (engine runs fine) and I propose to do that myself, but if anyone has any ideas on what I might need/find once I get at it Id like to hear them.
Im in Ireland by the way!

Kindest regards
John Cleary

Dale G. Basgall John, the lever you refer to is called a reverser lever, it simply changes the direction of the tractor on the go. I don't believe that one has a converter, it has a disconnect clutch alot like a conventional clutch on any other tractor and it's used for disconnecting the engine from the transmission in case of failure. When you depress the clutch pedal only halfway that is only moving a hydraulic valve in the trans to dump transmission clutch pack pressure.

Normally water enters into the system through the gearshift levers where they go into the top of the transmission cover. The rubber caps on them most likely got hard through the years or are not there. If you get your 13digit pin number off the tractor and send it via this forum I can walk you through this. I just want to look in the repair manual before I make statements that really show my age, like not using the book by thinking I've done many of those before.

Dale G. Basgall

john cleary Dale, thanks indeed for the reply-this lever is mounted to the left of the steering, with a rabbit and tortoise symbol-you sure its not a convertor?
I will get the number off the tractor and send it today-I also have the workshop manual here, ordered it a number of months ago after resolving to do something about this tractor rather than letting her rot.

Again many thanks for taking the time to get back to me!

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):



Sign Up For Our Monthly Special Sales!