SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

yanmar diesel

Eugene I have just bouht a johndeere 755 with a yanmar diesel 3 cyl,it was running and the man that had it let it set for about a year and tryed to start it and it would'nt start so the fuel system was cleand and still wound'nt start. it act's like it want to start it blow's out smoke but it won't fireup. do you think i need to take the head off and look at the valve's any help would be a big thanks.
Dale G. Basgall Eugene, that particular model has three glow plugs, they are located in the cylinder head one into each combustion chamber and may appear to look like spark plugs from the eyes of a non mechanic. They are connected together by a conductor strip and when the key switch is turned on and the engine temperature is cool they should have 12vdc going to that conductor strip. It sounds as if there is no voltage going to the glow plugs and if it is cold weather they need to work properly or the exact symptoms appear as you describe. Make sure the glow plugs are getting voltage, I can look to see if there is a seperate swithch on that model if needed, write back on the forum and I will assist you further if needed.

The glow plug light needs to go on on the dash for awhile before you can start the unit.

Dale G. Basgall

Eugene Thanks Dale,
I check the glow plug wires today and it has 12 volts to it when the key is turned on.
Thanks for the help.
Eugene

Dale G. Basgall Eugene, did you get the engine going ? If not you can test the glow plugs without removing them.

Take your meter and turn it to the ohms scale, remove each wire from ontop the glow plugs. Put one lead to your meter on the ground of the tractor and touch the top terminal on a glow plug, if you get a readin OL or open lead on any one of those glow plugs you need to replace the one that is bad.

Dale G. Basgall

Eugene Dale,
I'm going on vacation for a few days today, and i will try that when i get back.if that check out good do you think i need to buy a compresstion tester and check the compresstion? i found one for $60.00 but will probley be the last time use it.
Thanks again for all the help,
Eugene

Lanny There are two relays that don't seem to get mentioned much in discussion of these glow plugs. I know becuase it cost almost $600 to find out. If the relays are fritzed, no juice to glow plugs ... even if the glow plugs are OK... One is behind the panel and the other is down somewhere below the battery. No idea why they failed, but dealership spent hours trouble shooting to get to the heart of the matter. Nothing in manual about relays...just the fuses...which were OK and the glow plugs...which were OK
Alec I have a JD 855 with a Yanmar 24 HP engine. Last week while I was snowblowing, I brought the throttle back towards idle and it stalled. I was able to start it by advancing the throttle, and each time I pull it back about half way the engine rolls back and quits. I noticed a solenoid connected to the fuel system progressively closing with reduced RPM. Do you have any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks.

Alec I have a JD 855 with a Yanmar 24 HP engine. Last week while I was snowblowing, I brought the throttle back towards idle and it stalled. I was able to start it by advancing the throttle, and each time I pull it back about half way the engine rolls back and quits. I noticed a solenoid connected to the fuel system progressively closing with reduced RPM. Do you have any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: