SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

differentail lock on 4300 colar shift

Tony I have a 4300 colar shift John Deere tractor with about 1000 hrs. I was pulling a log uphill yesterday and when the wheel spun I applied pressure to the differential lock pedal and it wouldn't engage the opposite wheel. I use it mostly for mowing grass and don't use the lock often. Anyone have any thoughts about what may cause this? thanks
Dale G. Basgall Tony, regarding the differential lock, most of those I am familuar with are mechanically engaged, as you are setting on the tractor your left foot depreses the diff lock pedal, a rod from that pedal goes directly down to a belcrank lever which is pinned to a shaft that goes directly into the trans/diff housing, this shaft has a threadably attacked fork that slides over the differential lock collar which simply moves onto the axle shaft causing the diff lock to be engaged and both wheels spin. Either your retaining pin had sheared or there is some problem in the lever assembly. If those are ok then to make it work you need to take the left axle brake housing off and put a new diff lock collar on, it's not that bad of a job.

If yours is not as I explained then I apologize, I am doing this by what I remember, thanks

Dale.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: