SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

425 won't start when cold

Ed K My model 245 w/ 14 hp Kawasaki will start and run all summer long, until the weather starts to turn cold in October / November. It turns over and just backfires through the exhaust - but will not start. Replaced ignition module. Any ideas? Local JD dealer has given up.
Henry How many hours on the engine? Has it been doing this for awhile?
Dale G. Basgall Ed, regarding the Kawasaki engine, those engines are set so lean for the ratio of fuel to air that if there is any slight deviation in that fuel to air mixture they will not start. I mean less than 10% in the lean state.

Jahn Deere dealer can sell you an accessory main jet that takes care of that problem, it did for mine. Backfiring out the exhaust however could possibly be another problem , thats unusual unless there is a exhaust valve seating problem also, however if the unit runs well after it's warmed up and running then I believe your problem could be solved with the mainjet , I think it's a 105 I have in mine.

What happens usually when it gets cold the air dencity changes, this actually contracts the calculated volume of air entering the intake on a cold day and then upon expansion of the air into the venturi of the carburetor makes the fuel to air mixture leaner than calculated.

Try changing to the other size main jet it works much better.

Dale

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: