SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 445 mower stalling after 45-60 minutes

Chris H in AZ I am the second owner of a '97 445 mower. It has 1553 hours on the service meter. Upon startup the engine shows no problem or hesitation. It is only after about 45 minutes to an hour of use the engine dies. When I disengage the mower and restart it does so as if nothing is wrong and stalls when I engage the mower. When I start it again and attempt to drive the mower without the mower engaged it hesitates when moving forward or backward and acts as if it wants to stall. I have checked the oil, it is fine, I have replaced the fuel filter and the only other items I can think of is it might be the injector, the fuel pump or something to do with the spark control.

I have tried to contact the local dealer, Central Implement, but they are very difficult to deal with and basically refuse to help unless the machine is in their service center. Which I can understand normally but when the people from the service department tell a customer that they will not help unless the mower is in their service department, it caused me to not want to deal with them anymore.

brian I have the same mower 1999 with 600 hours that does the same thing. Dealer is stumped. Has anyone ever fixed the problem?
Barry Evans Well it on Feb 9th it stalled again and then worked fine for about 1 hour of use then all of the sudden nothing- died and would not start. Thought my RIO switch fix wiggled loose, nope. So I looked on my dash- no dash lights. I had Headlights, so I knew the battery was not dead. Looked at the fuses under the dash- sure enough, the fuse for the starter was dirty and blown. New fuse. No stalling. It worked flawlessly for the entire 3 hour mowing last night. It took the Following- Fuel Filter Change, Tune Up, change out the hose between fuel pump and top of fuel tank, RIO Switch alteration, and changing of the fuse for the ignition. DONE. Now lets hope it stays that way.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: