SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

LX 277 Loses power after 30 mins of cutting

kelly Hi if anyone can help me that would be great!

My LX 277 has a problem, when I mow after about 30 minutes or so, the lawn tractor bogs down with the mower deck engaged, it hardly has any power, and barely climbs a slope, with a strong smell of gas coming out of the exhaust, however when I disengage the mower deck the tractor runs fine full power.

Any help would be great!

Dale G. Basgall Kelly :

Does it have a Kawasaki engine in it ?

Dale

Kelly yes it does have a Kawasaki engine in it!
Dale G. Basgall Kelly :

If it has a twin cylinder Kawasaki engine in it and in specific a 18.5hp I have had that exact problem. What had happened is that the grass, fine grass had entered into the top screen on the flywheel top side you will see the screen, mine had a few extra holes cause of rust out here in the Pacific. Well when the symtoms happened like yours I removed the valve covers and everything looked ok but when I turned on the blades it lost power, like yours. The grass had plugged the tiny holes that the air blows through the heads, those cool the valve guide area. The exhaust valve guide got hot enough to cause the guide to become loose and work around. I took off the heads and JB welded in both exhaust valve guides and installed the valve springs and let them dry, they have worked for another year. Check the valve guides out very carefully and make sure the screen is in good condition on the flywheel.

Dale,

PS, You can purchase valve springs for a LX-178 they had a water cooled twin cylinder Kawasaki engine in them and it will give you more torque, also there is a main jet available for the carb.

kelly Hey thanks for the excellent information, but mine is a 17 HP V Twin, do you think that would make a difference?

Thanks a Ton!

Marv My LX 277 with a 17hp Kawasaki engine did the exact same thing. It turned out to be a bad ignition. coil. I replaced it and now she runs great.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: