SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

240 not running right

David Lopez I just bought a jd240 lawn tractor with a fc 420v motor. It was not running when I got it. It started to run but will only idle. It will not run when you increase the throttle. It starts to back fire throught the exhaust and pops through the carburator. Had the carb rebuilt but no change. Removed the muffler and no change. Any ideas?
Dave David - Timing may cause this, bent or worn valves, sticking valves, damaged or worn cam. You may have to tear it down to find out. - Dave
John M I have the exact same issue - it first did this last month, then I went out and started it and it ran fine for three weeks - today it is back to idle only. I had put fuel conditioner in it after the first time so I'm not sure if it is a carb, fuel or electrical issue. If I hold it down to idle and slowly - very slowly bring the throttle up it accelerates. But if you try to accelerate it at a normal pace it pops and dies. Still trying to find out why. Anyone have any other thoughts before I tear it down? - Thanks
John M Turned out to be the coil - of all things. The spark looked good when cranking, but once it started and picked up RPM's the spark would fade out. Did a resistance check on the coil according to a document I found and sure enough, the numbers were way off. Replaced the coil and she runs like a champ.
John McManus My 240 John Deere tractor has a similar problem. Where did you find the document that said what the resistance numbers of the coil were?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: