SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John 318 tranny... pushing non running 318

Ed Claycomb I have a JD 318 that quit on the edge of the road and I need to get it off. I remember there is a hydro tranny overide so as to push it. Where is this?
Next question will be: seems to have no spark but is getting gas. Will turn over fine with starter. Where do I start checking after I get it off the road?

Dave Ed - There's a free wheel lever on the right side of the tractor, up behind the rear wheel. I never had to use mine when I had a 318, so I can't tell you which way to move it, but it should not be too hard to figure out. Just make sure it's properly engaged before attempting to move the tractor. If not, and you do try moving the tractor, damage to the transmission can result.

If you are not getting any spark, and it's a 1983 to 1986 (Onan B43G engine), it could be the points, flywheel key sheared, capacitor, or the coil. If the 318 is a 1987 to 1992 (Onan P218G engine), it could be capacitor or coil.

Those are the obvious. - Dave

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: