SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

790 won't crank

Charlie_in_WV I posted in this thread ...
http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=jd&msg=15313
··· but BTTT

Here's my story ···
JD 790 slightly more than 3 years old, 498.9 hours, bought it new.
Was tilling up with a 5' KIng Kutter an area for a food plot after ripping up the sod with a cultivator. Had chopped all (I thought) the roots out of the plot.
I hit a wrist thick root and stalled the tractor. No big deal, put in neutral, PTO off and started it up. Raised tiller and moved past root and finished up.
Decided to go up to my building and cut away any roots/weeds in tines of tiller before refueling at old barn.
Shut off tractor and there she sits.
Checked gear shift. Checked PTO. Checked fuses. Checked (with ohm meter) the neutral switch and PTO switch, both are working alright.
Thumped starter with hammer. Thumped starte solinoid with hammer handle.
The "battery·brake·oil" lights light on the dash, you hear the clicking of ignition on but NOTHING when to start position, NOTHING!
I've even tried grounding out the solinoid, nothing.
Any ideas?

hay sounds crazy,but try loosening and retightening the battery terminals and check the ground strap.
Charlie_in_WV Well, tried that, still doesn't crank.
Let me call the local dealer and see if they can talk to me (otherwise see if they make "house calls").

Charlie_in_WV Boy!
Do I ever feel foolish.
The meter I use is an old Western Electric 145A multi-meter. The phone company I retired from came out with many different meters after this one but I knew it and continued to use mine.
The only problem is the volt scale goes to 100 so looking at 10VDC or 12VDC you really have to look over the top of your eyeglasses.
Seems a cell shorted out in the battery.

bontai Joe Glad it was an easy fix and you got 'er up and running. Stinks when the old eyes go. I need glasses to read anything also.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: