SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

jd f510 belt gets too hot and breaks

shawn haskins On my JD f510, the pto clutch gets excessively hot causing the belt to twist and break. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how to remedy it??? Please help!!!
Dale G. Basgall Shawn :
Most likely the pto itself is building the heat due to excessive load onto the blades, spindles or an obstruction to rotation of the spindles. Remove the primary deck belt from the pto and deck, the try and rotate each blade assembly, make sure they rotate freely and smoothly. If so then sit on the mower, turn the key to the on position and release the parking brake. Try and operate the pto switch and make sure it is snapping in and out, the only thing to go a little haywire on those is the blade brake adjustment but that is unlikely it is causing the heat buildup on the belt. Check all pulleys and other rotating parts on the deck.

Dale

ron shawn, something else you may want to look at. Our f525 was doing the same thing.
H

ron Hit the wrong key. Anyway shawn, the problem in part was we had been given the wrong belt size.
The belt was too small and it was buring out. After only 1/2 hr of cutting you could smell it burning.

The clue that finally did it, i noticed one of my employees (with a new belt)had cut with the belt tensioner/spring engaged forward, which should have caused the belt to come off and or cause a bad cut as the main pully should have been slopping around. But the cut he finished looked good.

After getting the correct belt the PTO drive stopped working. I then lifted the mower to discover that the PTO wire was fried, as it should have been, as the PTO was shot. Only 4 bearings left.
I am surmising that the tension from repeated cutting with the wrong belt burned the bearings. Not to mention going through 3 deck and one drive, belts in 3 weeks.

With John Deere getting more and more of their supplies from
different vendors, and the local dealer/s not always hiring competent employees, you have to really make sure to bring your model no and other information when buying parts.

New PTO-$150.

Good luck

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: