SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Starter problem, JD316 w/ 18HP Onan

Mike Hey guys,

i have a 316 JD that i am having problems with. The starter is clicking rapidly when i turn the key (loud clicks). I did not have a lot of time to mees with it but i tried tapping on it to free it up but nothing. It looks like i have to pull or lift the engine to get to the starter/selinoid, right? The connections look good and everything. Anywhere else to look before lifting the engine, or is there a way to remove it without lifting the engine? Thanks, MIKE

Dave Mike - Call your local John Deere dealer, and order the starter boost kit. It costs about $20 and takes about fifteen minutes to install. It comes with instructions and a relay to pull electrical power and send it directly to solenoid, thereby, eliminating the clicking. - Dave
mike My starter does not engage the flywheel at all though. It just makes the loud rapids clicking. This kit will fix that??? Thanks

Dave Mike - I had a problem with my old 318 where it would just click. The click is caused because not enough current is getting to the solenoid. Boost the voltage to the solenoid and the clicking stops. The solenoid is not making good contact, that's why the starter won't engage.

For $20 and some change, it's a better bet than pulling the engine and replacing the starter, only to still have the clicking problem. That's not to say your starter is fine either. You may also have an issue with the starter, but the clicking is the solenoid not getting enough voltage. - Dave

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: