SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

John Deere M, Touch-o-matic valve housing

Brian Donley Recently purchased a 1952 M and the Touch-o-matic valve housing is leading. It has been brazed in the past but the leak is persistent. I am looking for a good used replacement housing, M 1503T (perhaps M1508T-can't make out the last number very well). I would also be interested in purchasing a rockshaft housing for the same tractor. The current housing has been brazed but is not leaking.
JOHN YOU CAN REPAIR BY CLEANING LEAKING AREA WITH CONTACT CLEANER, AND LIGHTLY SANDING AREA. APPLY JB WELD 2 PART EPOXY, AND LET DRY. YOU CAN SAND, AND PAINT WHEN COMPLETE DRY.
(JB WELD AVAILABLE AT AUTO STORES.) JOHN

hblock JB Weld?? Although I use and love the product in many applications, this brings to mind a song that goes Mic-key Mouse. Sorry no offense intended.
Welding cast is not a rocket science. Get rid of the brazing by grinding, go buy some cast rod, and fire up the wood stove. Disassemble your part to the remaining cast only, then place on the wood stove, and cover the part with some insulation that won’t catch on fire. Once adequately hot lift the insulation and lay in your beads.
Now here is the secret, let the stove cool very slowly. If you hear a “tink” then you need to grind, reheat, and start over. I’ve not seen it, but I hear that there is a process that makes the weld look like the original cast. I would love to understand that process.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: