SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD 318 New starter, No start

Mark S Hi, I have a 1988 John Deere 318 with the P218G Onan engine. The starter on the tractor was going out therefore I replaced it with a new one
and have it all back together again (FYI, just before I replaced the starter the tractor did work and run). I went to start the tractor and I got nothing but a few clicks from different components and dash lights. I checked the neutral and seat safety switches which get power through them, getting power to the starter, getting power though the mounted resistor on the tower side panel, and the battery has a good charge. The ignition works and turns on the dash lights, even the PTO dash light goes on when switched. What could be the problem as I am stumped! Would a wiring diagram help? Thank you, Mark. Tomball, Tx.

Dave Mark - It's possible the wiring to the starter has developed resistance and the voltage is not up to par. Deere has a starter improvement kit that costs around $20 that resolves the "clicking" issue. It might be worth installing the kit. When I had my 318, I had problems with clicking when I tried to start the tractor. Installed the kit and the problem went away. Also, you may want to check the connections at the ignition and PTO switches and make sure they are corrosion-free. - Dave
cal I had the same problemand replaced the starter and still only clicking.Finaly I turned back the bolts on the front pto and away the tractor went. Afterwards youhave to set the clutch to 18 thousands. Hope it works for you I know the frustration,went through two starters finding that out

Mark S Thank you for your ideas. I will let you know how it works out on the PTO. The improvement kit will be ordered and see how that works.
Thanks again! Mark S.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: