4850 using 8-10 gal of engine oil in 8hrs of use?

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4850 using 8-10 gal of engine oil in 8hrs of use?

Scott M My boss has a 94 4850 4x4 with 13000hrs, it dosn't smoke, no loss of power. This just started, the only work on engien was the primer pump has been replaced.
bontai Joe My first thought was 13000 hours is a LOT of hours, I suspect it's burning some oil, but 10 gallons in 8 hours seems more likely a leak. Get a light and strat looking for oil dripping out of the engine, and check the transmission fluid level to see if that's gone up from oil leaking through the rear of the motor.
Scott M Well Thanks for your help, I have them checking that right now' but everything I described is accurate, 15 Gals in 15-16 hrs. The oil is very clean when we check it. My boss said this seems to have all started when the fuel primer was replaced.
ross Is the hydraulic overfull? I am betting that the rear main seal on the crankshaft has started leaking into the transmission. The only way to fix is if you split the tractor and replace the seal and housing. Good luck.
Scott M We just ckecked the trans oil and it's fine, we have no leaks. The boss says thanks to all for your help but we need to get some fitten done.
bontai Joe There are a limited number of ways to loose 15 gallons of oil, it's either burned and going out the exhaust, leaking out of the motor on the ground, or leaking out the rear of the motor into the transmission..... I can't think of any other place it could "hide". I suppose it could be leaking out the motor and dripping on a hot exhaust manifold and vaporizing, but that much oil, it would smoke for sure. Pleae keep us informed with what you find out.
Scott M Thanks, bontai Joe, I will let everyone know when we figure it out.. We are just as puzzeled as you are.
paul de blok Did you also check the engine-oil pressure ?
You could also have a leaking turbo en when it's loosing al lot of oil, the engine will consume it by air-in-take !!

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: