JD L120 Plow

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

JD L120 Plow

TO I am thinking of buying a used JD L120 tractor for mowing and snow plowing. Does anyone have experience with using this tractor to plow? I'm concerned that since it's not 4WD the tires will just spin when trying to plow heavy snow.
bontai Joe The L120 is a rather light duty machine for plowing heavy snow. Weighs around 500 pounds with esentially one wheel drive (no locking rear differential available). Without wheel weights and chains, I don't see it pushing a lot of wet snow, probably max out at around 4". You might have better results with a front mounted snowblower. A blower takes a lot of the strain off the tranny and uses the tractor's HP to operate.
John Hi,I have an L120 with a factory 46"snow blade. I have the rear weight bracket with two 40lb. weights,a must. Tire chains with "two link" bars are also a must. The blade should work well on a concrete driveway, it has two small adjustable skids for height. I have an uneven gravel drive and at times have to hold the blade up so not to dig into the gravel. It's still better than a snowblower, at least for me. As far as power, the deepest snow fall I have plowed yet is about 8" and it worked well,my driveway is 200ft long by 30ft wide. Keep in mind you have to make conservative passes. You can't go gung-ho and expect to move mountains, and I think this is true with any lawn tractor.I believe I am at my limit with this tractor. If you have more than what I have I would definitely recommend a larger or sturdier tractor. Good Luck!
TO Thanks guys for the responses. I'll take it all into consideration.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ John Deere Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: